5 Ways To Eat Healthy At Restaurants
Making healthy choices can be a challenge when eating out, especially after the server announces all those mouth-watering, calorie loaded specials! You may even believe it’s easier to avoid eating out altogether. However, you can still enjoy a night of good food; all you need to do is keep the following tips in mind:
- Ask the server to bring out half the portion, while packing the rest. With only half the portion, you will be more satisfied when you finish what’s in front of you. Plus, the packed half makes a great lunch for the next day!
- Make healthy substitutions to ensure your plate is more balanced. Almost all restaurants will allow you to substitute the side of fries or mashed potatoes for healthy options such as salads or veggies. All you have to do is ask!
- Read the menu carefully and look for key words such as grilled, roasted, baked and broiled. Avoid menu items with words such as fried, creamy, breaded, battered and loaded in the description.
- Be wary of the seemingly healthy salad! Some salads are coated with so much dressing and extra high-calorie toppings, that you’re better off having a regular entree. Ask for your dressing on the side so you can control the amount you add in. You can also try dipping your fork in the dressing and then piercing the salad to keep from having too much of the dressing.
- Order one dessert for the entire table. For you, if a meal isn’t a meal without dessert, then sharing something with the entire table is the better alternative to having your own super sized dessert. However, for the sake of your waist line, try to make sure this dessert isn’t a regular occurrence!